1) Gatorade: Three 32 ounce bottles (not red, purple or orange)
Diabetics – buy sugar free Gatorade (Gatorade Zero)
2) Miralax: At least 12 ounces (you will need 21 regular doses which is 357 grams)
Three 4.09 ounce jars OR two 8.3 ounce jars OR one 17.9 ounce jar
3) Bisacodyl (oral and NOT rectal version): 10 mg
One 10 mg tablet OR two 5 mg tablets
4) Simethicone liquid: One small container of over-the-counter liquid simethicone (found in the baby aisle of the pharmacy)
Two (2) Days Before Colonoscopy: Avoid whole grains, seeds, nuts, raw tomatoes and corn.
Day Before Colonoscopy: Eat a light breakfast and then clear liquids after 10:00 AM for the remainder of the day. The light breakfast can include 1-2 slices of white bread toast or a plain bagel with butter, margarine or jelly. It can also include one egg. Clear liquids are liquids you can see through such as chicken broth, apple juice, white grape juice, Gatorade, black coffee or tea, ginger ale, Jell-O, ice popsicles. Do not have products that are red, purple or orange. Remember! No solid foods or dairy products after breakfast!
Day Before Colonoscopy (in the morning):
- To each of the three bottles of Gatorade, add 7 capfuls of Miralax powder
You will use a total of 21 capfuls of Miralax (7 capfuls added to each 32 oz. Gatorade bottle)
- Thoroughly mix so there is no visible powder in each Miralax-Gatorade bottle.
- Place the three 32 ounce Miralax-Gatorade bottles in the refrigerator.
- At 6 PM take 10 mg of Bisacodyl
- At 6 PM drink one 32 ounce Miralax-Gatorade bottle over 1 hour*
- At 8 PM drink one 32 ounce Miralax-Gatorade bottle over 1 hour*
Day of Colonoscopy:
1) 5 hours before the colonoscopy:
Add 10 droppers of Simethicone (fill each dropper to the top line) to the last bottle of
Miralax-Gatorade and mix until the solution is clear.
Immediately start drinking this bottle over 1 hour*
*Drink 8 ounces of the bowel prep every 15 minutes
You may take your necessary morning medications with a sip of water (no more than 2 tablespoons).
The Prep must be finished 4 hours prior to your procedure time. Only necessary medications may be taken with a sip of water after completion of Prep. If you take anything by mouth, including any solid food, gum, mints, hard candy or water, your procedure will be rescheduled.
- DIABETES: If you take medications for diabetes or to control your blood sugar, call your primary physician for instructions on how to take these medications on the day before your colonoscopy and on the day of the procedure.
- BLOOD THINNERS: If you are taking ANY blood thinner other than Aspirin, you need to make an appointment with one of the physicians of Gastrointestinal Associates to discuss how you will coordinate the medication use before and after the procedure. Your Gastrointestinal Associates physician will make a recommendation about your blood thinner. You will need to speak to the physician who orders this medication for you. If there is a difference in his/her recommendation, you must call our office to advise your Gastrointestinal Associates physician. If you are on chemotherapy with Avastin, it is critical that your Gastrointestinal Associates physician be made aware of this.
If you are unable to finish the preparation, please call our office at 267-620-1100.
(Miralax-Gatorade Colonoscopy Prep 5/22)